4.02.2013

Wounds

Claire burned her hand on the curling iron this last weekend. It was a so sad. She cried and sobbed as alligator tears rolled continuously down her cheek. We stuck her hand under cold water and then eventually on a bag of ice.  It was hard to get her to trust us that the ice would help. I reasoned and begged her to let me try and help, but she was beyond any consoling I could give because the pain was overbearing. After just letting her cry until she calmed a little, she stopped ringing her hand in the air and put it on the ice. I think she found immediate relief and insisted on the ice bag the rest of the day and night (she insisted on the ice bag to rest her hand on when she went to bed). We called the doctor to make sure it wasn't something that needed to be seen because of the size and site of the burn and were given good instructions on what to do and watch for. She if finally using her hand again but has some pretty good blisters on her few fingers. It was really hard not being able to kiss away her ouchie.

That night I got thinking about the events of the day and had a little realization. I thought about the fact that my children would continue to experience hurt, pain and wounds in this life and sometimes I was going to be powerless to prevent or cure them. This thought really made my heart ache. I realized that sometimes the only thing I can do is be there and hold them when they cry but no matter how much I wanted to, I can't stop or take away the pain. Being that it was Easter weekend I then thought of the savior and I realized the importance of teaching them how to deal with these wounds and who to turn to in there time of need. Even if it is not me, I am happy to know that there will always be some who understands. I knew the Savior knew my little Claire's pain and could sympathize with the physical discomfort she was experiencing. Then I had another thought. There was more that I could do then just teach my kids who to turn to in their need. I needed to turn to him just as much as Claire does because only he could help me to know what Claire needed from me. Where this was just a small event focused mostly around a physical pain/wound, I thought ahead to the future where I know my kids will experience their share of sorrow, headache and many types of pain. But I was comforted because I have a testimony of the Savior and the example he is to us and blessing he has made possible to each one of us. Every once in awhile it is good to have those experiences that brings those eternal truths to the forefront of our minds. I am glad for the small reminders around me that I am not alone and that someone wiser, kinder and perfect is helping me along the way.

No comments: