6.04.2013

She's Going Places

This Just Happened!



Ava learned to ride a bike!

It was a lot less painless and frustrating than I thought it would be. She had been working for a month or so with her grandpa and dad just pushing herself of the bike without pedals. Then we put the pedals back on and she still wouldn't give it a shot but she could coast pretty well.

On this past Sunday evening we decided to go for a walk. I had to convince Tyson to let Ava ride her bike because he gets a little anxious about riding in our neighbor because we don't have side walks.  I also think he was anticipating having to carry or wheel it home and that didn't sound like fun either. About half way through the walk, we stopped to chat and visit with our friends in their front yard. The kids all came out and began to ride their bikes up and down the street. One of Ava's best friends, Ava R. was riding her bike and her little 3 year old brother Sawyer was riding as well. Neither of them were using training wheels. I think Ava needed that last push to not be left behind because she just did it...with no one coaxing, begging, bribing or trying to give instruction. True to form, she does it only when she has made up her own mind and when she feels she is in charge. I should have known after potty training her that she was never going to do it when I wanted her to, but when she was darn good and ready.

She may also take a little bit after me because I was generally the last to do things. Not because it took me that long to catch on, but because I had to make sure that everyone lived through whatever thing we were learning and then I could convince myself...if they did it and lived...so will I.

I am so happy we can check this task off our summer to do list and it is only the first week of June.
 Lots of fun summer bike riding ahead....wahoo!

No comments: